Well...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mikal from spider-tq013.proxy.aol.com on October 20, 1999 at 05:33:00:

In Reply to: It does seem odd... posted by ROB T. on October 19, 1999 at 23:00:56:

: By the end of "Last Crusade" I think Indy would be a very confused man having seen a powerful demonstration of three different mythologies.

Not really three. Jesus, the "founder" of Christianity was a Jew... fulfilling Jewish prophecy.
True, Judaism does not recognize this by-and-large (though there are some who do), and Christians have often forgotten it (more often than not), but it's still true that ... well, see the next bit.

: I think he would be searching for some spiritual path but which one would he take? The Grail legend is only marginally connected to Christianity. The Ark might point him to Judaism. And how would he explain Mola Ram's magic?

The Ark in Hebrew culture was the symbol of the Covenant with God. A Covenant of Law and sacrifice and all that.
Jesus' exact words were, "This Cup is the New Covenant in My Blood."
The "Grail," so to speak, is the symbol of the New Covenant... a Covenant of Grace and forgiveness and all that.
It does not replace the Old Covenant, as the very nature of the word implies permanence, but it does supersede it.
They are two systems, but not two "mythologies," as you put it. They are parts of a whole.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]