I debated using the word "mythologies."

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ROB T. from 162.10.138.28 on October 20, 1999 at 21:52:41:

In Reply to: Well... posted by Mikal on October 20, 1999 at 05:33:00:

I used the word mythologies instead of religions because I'm a Christian and didn't want to give too much credence to Mola Ram's cult or to the Grail legend.
Of course the Grail is part of Christianity but when we get to speaking of it having magical powers then you get into Arthurian legend and that's where the mythology comes in. Unlike the Ark where the Bible does speak of it as having mystical powers. The Grail, as far as I know, is just a cup.
You're right that Christians often seem to forget that Jesus was a Jew and that his coming is part of Jewish prophecy (ironically, I was thinking about that last night when I saw "Ben Hur")
The point I wanted to make was that Indy would have to be foolish to have seen what he has seen and not have some sort of spiritual awakening because of it. But I think his path would still be conflicted.
I agree that the Grail and the Ark are connected as religious icons but the separation comes when the Grail performs magic. This makes it part of Arthurian legend and gives credence to things like Excalibur and Merlin and such and seperates it from Judeo-Christian religion.
So does Indy embrace the Arthurian legend (like his father seems to) or does he become a Jew or Christian. I think we can all agree he doesn't become a Thuggee. Or maybe Indy would choose some other path like Bhuddism or some other Eastern religion.
His experiences would have to have changed him in some way.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]