Re: Yep, it's alot easier to push around a disarmed citizenry!(nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Browning from srt-141.dialup.ndak.net on October 21, 1999 at 12:17:00:

In Reply to: Yep, it's alot easier to push around a disarmed citizenry!(nm) posted by Steve on October 21, 1999 at 08:32:54:

: : : I heard some more about Colt's decision to get our of the commercial handgun market. Fear of litigation, I am sure, played a part. But I also learned that the Government (i.e. Clinton and friends) told Colt that if they didn't cease to market handguns to the public, they would lose their military contracts. Another example of your tax dollars at work to undermine your Constitutional rights.

: : ...and you see the surprise written all over MY face? (grins) Regards. Michaelson

There's a bit of mis-information floating about concerning this whole Colt matter. Colt isn't getting completely out of the handgun market. They will continue to market their Single Action Army, Cowboy, and one of their newer .45 autos. In addition, the AR-15 will continue to be manufactured for civilian sales. This is according to a Colt press release that my brother showed me a couple weeks ago when this started (He works in a gun shop). In addition, Colt is raising the price on their guns 6%. My brother told me that the owner of the gun shop where he works raised the prices quite a bit more than this. I'd guess that they are trying to make an extra buck off of the panic buying that will ensue because of all this. If you look at the guns Colt dropped, they were all models that didn't sell very well and had developed a bad reputation for quality control. I personally had a bad experience with a gun I bought from them about five years ago. In my humble opinion, I'd guess that the new CEO at Colt didn't want to admit that they had a bunch of inferior products and used the litigation excuse instead to drop some of the unprofitable guns. If that's the case, their plan definitely backfired. My advice would be to let this settle down a bit and you'll probably save some money. For you guys that are waiting to buy a M1911, don't rush into it. There are literally millions of them out there. Take your time and find one you like. I don't know as much about the New Service, but I run across them every few months or so at gun shows.

P.S. Michaelson, I still say Indy used a Hi-Power in Raiders. I rechecked recently and it's Harrison Ford himself holding that gun in the bar, not a stunt double. :)
-Browning

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]