Re: Indiana Jones costume

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean from iah17-197.barrie.connex.net on October 24, 1999 at 07:36:04:

In Reply to: Indiana Jones costume posted by Indiana Boy on October 24, 1999 at 00:07:13:

: Is there any alternatives to making a Indiana Jones costume? The prices for the authentic items are pricey. Does anyone know of any sites that talk about replicating the authentic items? Thanks.

Hi:
I'm not sure if there are any sites to help you out, but here's a little advice.
Since a lot of the Indy clothing consisted of "real world" items, you should have no trouble replicating the look, if not to a degree of authenticity. One thing you have going for you is that you don't need an expensive leather jacket for your costume, just roll the sleeves of your shirt up a la 'Raiders.' I would think a basic Indy costume would consist of 1)a white, khaki or stone coloured shirt which you should have no trouble finding as those are popular colours right now. 2) a pair of brown, khaki or tan dress pants, also readily available. 3) a pair of brown work boots. 4) a webbing belt in tan or brown, check Wal-Mart, they're about $5 there. 5) Check an Army Surplus store for a cheap brown leather holster and gun belt, as well as (but not absolutely necessary) some kind of canvas bag with a strap, leather of course if possible. And finally you'll definately need a fedora, check Indygear.com for their resources. All told you could probably get these items for under $50, and while you may not fool the most discerning indyfan, most people will think you look pretty cool. Oh I remembered one more thing - if you aren't old enough to grow a beard, one of the oldest tricks is to use vaseline and the contents of a tea-bag to give you that rugged adventurer look. Goofy, but it looks cool.
Hope this helps!
Sean

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: