Re: My millionth post hyping widescreen! (Don't read if you like pan n' scan)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Beowulf from FPARK-244-106.usae.bah.com on October 25, 1999 at 06:07:21:

In Reply to: My millionth post hyping widescreen! (Don't read if you like pan n' scan) posted by DeWayne on October 24, 1999 at 20:12:57:

I definitely agree. I ALWAYS prefer letterbox over pan & scan. I still remember when I first got the Star Wars movies on LD in letterbox and hookd up two TVs next to each other, one playing the letterbox version and one playing the pan & scan version, and was amazed at how much of the picture is cut out in the pan & scan version! Like you said, it's about 40% which is a LOT! As far as Star Wars went, there were things like cantina characters who I remembered from the multiple times I saw it in the theater that were cut from the pan & scan version. It's the same thing with the Indy movies.

: About 40% of the picture is lost when a movie in the scope of the Indy movies(2.35.1)is transferred to "tv box" the movie. Not mention crappy looking pans and edits that weren't in the original. From a director like Spielberg, this is a huge loss. He usually has action going on everywhere on the screen.

: A good example is the Sankara stones part in ToD. When Indy tips his hat after looking at the sculpted snake, he walks away and the snake turns ever so slightly towards us, the viewers. Cool trick, but you can't see it in pan n' scan. Check out the view from the inside peek hole in the tank in LC. Much more effective in widescreen. I'm sure other forum members have their own things to say in favor of widescreen. As they have before. Oh yeah, also, the opening dance sequence in ToD looks infinitly better in widescreen.

: I can't wait to read some of the posts on the 26th after you guys all see the things you've never seen before! I've been watching my Indy LD's for so long, watching pan n' scan makes me sick! May Mola Ram show up and give a chest massage to anyone who only buys the pan n' puke versions! Forgive me for getting so worked up, but "tv boxing" bites. Glad I got it out of my system.
: See ya! DeWayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]