Sam Browne belts

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Abner from fredmonmon.ne.mediaone.net on October 26, 1999 at 09:31:42:

In Reply to: Re: On this topic... posted by Anejo Joe on October 25, 1999 at 20:15:25:

: : : Michaelson,

: : : Sorry to slightly change the subject but I was wondering if the Model 10 S&W with a 5" barrel (not the heavy barrel) would be a good choice for an Indy revolver.

: : : Thanks,

: : : Chris

: : I personally like the model 10, though it is a K frame where the Smith that Indy carried was the large N frame, it does have the "profile" of the big Smith. Starting out as early as I did in this hobby, we made do with what we could figure out. Therefore not being a true "purist" in any form on what an Indyfan can get together their gear, I would say that the "skinny" barreled version of the model 10 would do just fine for you if that is what you can get hold of. I also agree that the 5 inch would probably give a better "look" in terms of dimensions than the 4 inch would too. And should the time come that you can move up to an N-frame, that model 10 will make real good trading stock for you too, as they are very popular with the gun crowd. Regards. Michaelson

: I picked this holster up on an internet auction. It looked something like an Indy holster. I was told it was a WWI holster for a Sam Brown belt. Note the tab with a hook, apparently for securing to the belt after the belt goes through the holster look. I guess it could fit a Smith or a Webley. Can you shed any light on this?

Sam Browne belts were those wide leather belts with the shoulder strap worn by officers. Both the British and Americans had them (and others too). If not for a Webley, that might possibly be for a S&W Model 1917 revolver.

Cheers,
Abner

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: