Exactly.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Micah from shell3.ba.best.com on October 27, 1999 at 14:08:08:

In Reply to: Re: Prequel/episode # nonsense posted by Dakota Ellison on October 27, 1999 at 12:41:36:

: : If TOD is supposedly a prequel to Raiders, then the little 'nod' to Raiders in TOD makes no sense. I talking about the scene where Indy confronts the two swordsmen and trys to go for his pistol like before. They even play a bit of the 'streets of cairo music'.
: : I may sound nitpicky, but if TOD came first, how can they have a FLASHBACK to something that hasnt happened yet? I just re-arranged TOD to be second in line in the box set. (P.S. widescreen is better)

: How about the rest of that scene as Indy uses his whip and grabs
: the sword while it's still in the other guys hand and fights
: the other swordsman(as he does in Marion's bar with the underling
: and his gun when Toht says "Shoot them, shoot them both". Then
: Indy charges the Thugees, only to immediatly turn tail as more
: of them show up (shades of Han Solo doing the same thing with the
: storm troopers on the Death Star in Star Wars IV). Also, earlier
: on the airplane as Indy realizes the plane is going to crash, he
: says "I think we've got a big problem" also ala Han Solo. It's just
: what makes these films so entertaining, these little nods to other
: Lucasfilm entries.

Don't you think Indy's first instinct would be to go for his gun? The Raiders situation was funny because action heroes tend to fight fist with fist, sword with sword, etc. That guy brought a sword to a gunfight. His loss. It was funny because of movies that came before, which really have no bearing on the internal events of Raiders. It's silly to apply chronology within the movie to jokes and references that exist outside of it.

It's like wondering why a movie which takes place in 1935 refers to an Obi-Wan who won't be known about until 1977.

--Micah

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]