Re: One Question

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by walker from 38.152.176.170 on May 27, 1998 at 10:17:22:

In Reply to: Re: One Question posted by Adam Mattern on May 27, 1998 at 10:04:23:

: : Who exactly was the inspiration for Indiana Jones?

: : ~Arc

Yeah, I've heard varying reports from the Lucas camp but I know a few specific sources that seem to be consistent. One, and I believe this was a pretty minor one, was Lash LaRue, an old serial cowboy who fought with a whip. But I think that's about all his contribution amounted to.

Also, Lucas has mentioned getting a lot of inspiration from, of all things, Uncle Scrooge Adventures, which was an old Disney comic book in the 40's. It still runs today in one form or another, and reprints are coming out all the time. The interesting thing is, several of the Raiders scenes are taken right out of the comics. I've seen the boulder rolling after Donald (Duck, that is) and a lot of other cliffhanger quests for various archeaological objects of importance. Recent issues done by an artist known as Don Rosa have done a great job at recapturing the original spirit of the comic, and, in fact, you can see where he has been influenced in turn by Indy. Kind of an interesting circle.

None of this Duck stuff really seems to have contributed to the character of Indy, but it almost certainly helped form the atmosphere of his adventures. Go check 'em out at a comic book store.

I'm sure there are other influences as well. I remember seeing an old Charlton Heston movie from the 60's. It was a jungle/treasure hunt movie, and Heston was wearing almost the exact same outfit as Indy does today. God only knows where all of Indy's parts came from.

walker

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]