Re: I don't know...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brisco from fwk104042.res-hall.nwu.edu on October 29, 1999 at 10:43:46:

In Reply to: I don't know... posted by The Northlander on October 28, 1999 at 07:36:38:

: I still say that considering the original chronology of the films themselves (TOD as a sequel, despite the date), and the fact that the music of the Cairo scene even plays, it was clearly intended as a joke that had extra meaning for those who already saw the "first" installment: Raiders (or rather "Indiana Jones and the Raiders?")
: -Northy-

The music playing supports Micah's comments (which I agree with 100%). It's not diagetic music (coming from a source within the film); film music is something that exists outside the realm of the characters and lifts the action further out of reality and into cinema. Therefore, a reference in the music cue is a cinematic one, and not a personal one for Indy. It's a wink. It's letting us know that they're alluding to another movie (which happens to be Raiders), much the same way the "Lawrence of Arabia" music in "The Spy Who Loved Me" does. Can Bond hear that music? Hell now. But the audience sure can. Just like in TOD.
Brisco

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]