Re: Webley Questions!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on October 29, 1999 at 11:52:06:

In Reply to: Re: Webley Questions! posted by Anejo Joe on October 29, 1999 at 10:13:24:

: : Michaelson, or anyone else:

: : I just put a downpayment on a Webley MKVI at the local gun shop. It's going to cost me $260 (including the money I already put down), and while I'm as excited as hell about it, I'm wondering: that amount of money is quite a bit less than I've heard other Webleys have gone for...is there anything I should be wary of?

: : It LOOKS fantastic. They said the old guy who owned it died, recently (in Florida, this happens all the time!) and his wife sold all his guns to them. But, how can I be sure that the gun shop didn't just clean it up, real nice? If the .455 ammo is as scarce as I'm hearing (I haven't checked into it, yet), there's little chance that I could 'drive it around the block'.

: : And, assuming the thing is definitely in the tip-top shape it seems to be, would you say that I'm getting a pretty square deal on it? I know it's tough to say, since you can't see it, but any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

: : John

:
: Sounds like a good deal. Make sure the inside of the barrel is not pitted, and the lockup is tight. Cock the hammer, then still holding the hammer back with your free hand, pull the trigger. The cylinder should be aligned with the barrel and should not move. Check the feel of the trigger by supporting the hammer with the free hand, then pulling the trigger (not allowing the hammer to fall). The trigger should not be to sensitive, nor too hard to pull either. If the gun has been refinished and buffed, this would hurt the value. But if it looks good, and you like it, then buy it. I was trying to buy a Webley VI which sold for around $500, but it was made in 1917, was in perfect condition, and thus was very collectable. Also, there was a particular person who wanted it and drove the bidding up. Sounds like you will fare better.

You can find a few more trials you can perform at the IndyGear FAQ on the guns too, if you want to give it a good going over before handing over the final cash. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]