Re: Music in AYIJ

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indiana Joe from dialup80.multilinkws.com on October 31, 1999 at 20:38:42:

In Reply to: Re: Music in AYIJ posted by Aragorn on October 31, 1999 at 15:42:15:

: The "Phantom Train of Doom" musical score DOES make use of the "Belly of the Steel Beast" music from "Last Crusade". However, save for that and the "Raiders March" and a few other short selections that were played in "Mystery of the Blues", all the Young Indy music has sounded origional.

Hmm, does it (make use of “Belly of the Steel Beast”) really? I know I heard echoes of TLC in PToD when I watched it, but that was years ago; I’ve listened to the original music on the soundtrack CD much more recently (The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Vol. 4 - includes PToD, as well as Ireland 1916 and Northern Italy 1918), but of course it just has the original score for the episode/movie by Joel McNeely, not any of John Williams’ feature score. I will watch PToD again soon and listen for the cue. At any rate, though, most of the Young Indy stuff is scored with original material written specifically for the series. There are definite similarities to the TLC score in the original material for PToD, as the composer himself mentions in the album liner notes (I remember feeling smug over detecting the stylistic connection when I first saw PToD, then getting the soundtrack and reading the notes which showed I was right :-), but that was as close as it ever really got, not counting those few instances the show used actual music from the films (Raiders dig chant in Curse of the Jackal / My First Adventure, Raiders march/Desert Chase/other Raiders material in Mystery of the Blues, and possibly Belly of the Steel Beast in Phantom Train of Doom). I certainly don’t recall any music from Temple of Doom getting used in the series, at any rate - though of course, I haven’t gotten to see EVERY episode yet, so who knows. ;-)

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up; I can’t believe I might have missed a film cue in a Young Indy, but it’s possible - everybody’s wrong sometimes, and I especially am more than I’d like ;-). I’ll listen for it.

- IJ

: Aragorn

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: