Re: To Patterson, Michaelson, and all others who own Westeds

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on November 01, 1999 at 12:15:41:

In Reply to: To Patterson, Michaelson, and all others who own Westeds posted by Steve on November 01, 1999 at 09:31:46:

: Ok guys, I'm pretty sure I am gonna treat myself to a Wested this xmas. I have one major question. Which of the 3 offered would you suggest, and why? And Patterson, if I remember correctly, you had a couple alterations made. Would you list those again? I am fairly certain that I am gonna go with the cotton lining, as I live in the South, and this seems better suited for our weather down here. As always your input is much appreciated! Steve

If you're going to take the plunge, and you don't think you'll be doing it again later (i.e. eventually owning more then one) you should probably go with the Raiders.

On lining, I would go with the cotton, personally. On finish it gets more complicated. I prefer the weight and feel of the hide used for the predistressed finish. I've taken care of it, and it looks great. Regular treatments with Pecard dressing make an incredible difference - though I need to clarify a point I made some time back with Abner. The skin is thinner and shinier - though very comparable in durability according to the folks at Wested. Eventually the skin does get broken in, and I understand it looks great.

On the modifications, there are a few I would definitely get. First, ask Peter to put a leather facing on the inside of the collar. When you say leather, he'll use whatever leather the jacket is made from, so don't worry about that. Also, I would recommend having a zipper put on the inside pocket. It is useful, and helps the pocket opening maintain its shape. Finally, have him put a facing on the inside along the right hand side of the zipper. Without a facing, the lining of the jacket is exposed to additional and unnecessary wear at the bottom of the zipper. I had him put facings along the inside of both sides, though in retrospect the facing on the left is not really necessary. Peter may shoot me for this, but he didn't charge extra for the modifications. This may be because I was already paying more for sizing modifications.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: