Re: That's what you think...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doktor Jones from fsict-tc8-26.fn.net on November 07, 1999 at 06:45:43:

In Reply to: Ahhh but "Archaeology is not an exact science,It does not deal in time schedules!!!" posted by Kenneth. on November 07, 1999 at 05:35:15:

: : : : I think you are talking about old archaeology. Modern archaeologist use cameras.

: : : Not entirely true; I've been in the field most of the year and artifact sketching is still an intregal part of site recordation. Although, cameras are very useful for some things!

: : Site and artifacts layout sketching, yes, artifact sketching -> mostly done in the labs. Faster with cameras and other modern equipments - also, more accurate.

: : Time is crucial in the field.

What is the connection with not being exact science and keeping time schedules in the field?? Are you tell me that you organized an archaeological fieldwork with any plans or time limit? Also, let me remind you that your funds are limited as well. (unless of course its funded by Hitler). Your crew needs to be fed everyday. Digging is hard work and boring - Its not just plain ol' treasure hunting (The greatest misconception of archaeology - its not as glamorous as you think). Also, real archaeologist never dig for the sake of digging. A lot of paper work has to be done just for one lousy dig (again, your time becomes crucial and limited because of that). Artifacts or finds in the field has to be recorded ASAP before its context becomes lost forever. Weather is also another element to worry about. I agree that sometimes there are artist who do sketches of work being done in archaeological expeditions. But those are (usually) artists, NOT archaeologists.

Also, Time (and Space) is important in archaeology. Digging up something often calls for determination of time period (i.e. C-14 test, etc.) You could always dig up artifacts of two different societies of different time periods. Things do not remain as static, or as simple as you think.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]