Just watched Raiders... in Widescreen (EXCELLENT!)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by J from n098h182.remote.mun.ca on November 07, 1999 at 07:33:29:

I thought I'd have to wait a little longer to see "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" in Widescreen (I'm still saving for the Box Set), BUT yesterday at Blockbuster Video I saw the whole Trilogy in Widescreen for rent! Next time I'm there I'll have to look to see if they have the Young Indy videos, but this time I just grabbed "Raiders..." (I would have gotten all three but I don't think I would have been able to watch them all this weekend) and went on.

Anyway, onto the movie itself. It was GREAT (!) to see it the way it was intended!!! It wasn't just that there was a lot there that I had been missing, but I just appreciated some aspects of the movie much more. The large set used for the Well Of The Souls was much more noticable (especially the snake statues). The map room sequence had a much more majestic look. How long the line is when they are all marching along towards the end. There were some things that couldn't (or barely) be seen, though, that I noticed, like R2 and 3PO in the Well of Souls). In the scene where Indy and Belloq are having the "You want to talk to God?" converation, the monkey jumps onto someone elses shoulder and it looks like something is being passed around. Some things also became more obvious. Even though, after checking on my old tape, I saw them, I hadn't noticed that the truck was full of explosives before, because they were always covered by the basket. In the widescreen version, though, they are clearly seen for a little while.

The THX treatment done on the movie also made a difference. The picture quality is better (and yes the ending does seem "enhanced") and the sound in some scenes is greatly improved. The interviews on the end were good too. By the way, is the preview seen at the beginning the same as the one on "Payback"?

Overall, I can't wait to own it so I can watch it like that ALL the time.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]