Re: I知 working on it...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doktor Jones from fsict-tc15-23.fn.net on November 07, 1999 at 17:35:59:

In Reply to: Re: I知 working on it... posted by Indiana Joe on November 07, 1999 at 16:47:32:

: : : After years out of school, I致e just returned to college to start studying anthropology; I知 currently headed towards a career in archaeology, though it値l be a few years before I知 all set.

: : Bravo. Have you ever volunteered in any real archaeological digs? It's a good way to start. There are many opportunities in the Summer time. Talk to your anthro dept about it.

: I知 afraid I haven稚 yet. There was one near here this summer that I wanted to be a part of, but life has this funny way of getting in the way of everything. :/

I understand. It happens to me too.

: My archaeology class is going to a dig this Tuesday, though, to observe (contract archaeology - they池e collecting as many artifacts and as much data as they can at an old Indian site before a city park is built on the land). I知 glad to be going, of course!

Well that's a good start. You'll get to experience how life is like out in the field. You'll probably need to invest in a tent and other camping stuff (unless your department provides them, or the trip is a one day affair). Otherwise, bring some warm clothes, bandana and a hat. I won't wear shorts...

Also, I won't count on too many major finds if the site is going to be a city park. If its really a major Indian site, I don't think the city park will ever get to be built on it. Anyway, It'll be up to the contract archaeologists to determine that and give the green light. You'll probably be doing a lot of surveying...

Have fun. Tell us how it goes.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]