Re: Nawww, but I like to think I'm one!!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by nitzsche from 1Cust228.tnt1.provo.ut.da.uu.net on November 07, 1999 at 19:00:51:

In Reply to: Re: Nawww, but I like to think I'm one!! posted by Doktor Jones on November 07, 1999 at 11:08:46:

: : : Site and artifacts layout sketching, yes, artifact sketching -> mostly done in the labs. Faster with cameras and other modern equipments - also, more accurate.

: : : Time is crucial in the field.

: :
: : Yes, but you can't sketch an artifact in the "lab" that you didn't :collect from the site. If the artifact is diagnostic or needs :curation, then yes, it will be colleted and drawn in-house, but :otherwise it is sketched in-field.

:
: So are you trying to imply to me that the artifacts you find on the dig sites are usually thrown back into the pit to be reburied after you've sketched them??? Unless of course you are talking about structures...but, have you ever heard of aerial photography? (Yes, I know its expensive, but I'm NOT talking about amateur archaeology done in your backyard. Besides, you could get the same effect using a camera on a weather balloon).

:
: :Time is crucial in the field, but money is even more crucial.

: Time is money. You're absolutely right. That is why time schedule matters in any archaeological dig (another misconception cleared... see the rest of the messages on this topic)

:
: :If mitigation is involved, of course curation is necessary, but I :was talking about Class III inventories, where curation is not :needed.

:
: But I wasn't just talking about class iii inventories...my friend.
: Also, do you deal only with class iii inventories?

:
: :So, artifact sketching becomes routine in the field.

: Very limited. Don't forget, NOT ALL ARCHAEOLOGISTS can draw...
: ART 101 is not a required subject in anthropology.

:
: :The drawings are then finalized in the office.

: Like how? You said you didn't collect them, or take any photographs of them??

:
: :In all depends on the type of archaeology conducted.

: Professional arrogance? I hope not.

Why are you getting so bent out of shape? I wasn't trying to debate with you. I know what I do for a living. Don't tell me that artifact sketching is limited when I've sketched hundreds of artifacts this year **in the field** which are then inked for the final report. I was merely responding to the idea that "modern" archaeology has done away with sketching. It hasn't. The end. Sorry to bother you with my personal experience.

--nitzsche

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]