Re: The End.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doktor Jones from fsict-tc6-09.fn.net on November 07, 1999 at 20:35:44:

In Reply to: Re: Nawww, but I like to think I'm one!! posted by nitzsche on November 07, 1999 at 19:00:51:

: Why are you getting so bent out of shape?

Huh?? And I thought it was the layout of the message headings that is moving out of shape : )

:I wasn't trying to debate with you. I know what I do for a living. :Don't tell me that artifact sketching is limited when I've sketched :hundreds of artifacts this year **in the field** which are then :inked for the final report.

Don't be mistaken, I think you are very talented (honest). But artifact sketching IS indeed limited. We do not have many people with your talents in this field (these days). We have become very lazy archaeologists, and rely too much on our modern technology.

Perhaps the correct way to put all these into perspective is:
Archaeologists should revitalize themselves -- that is why we have post-modernist archaeology.

You could voice your opinions, isn't it fair that I am also allowed to do the same?

:I was merely responding to the idea that "modern" archaeology has :done away with sketching. It hasn't. The end. Sorry to bother you :with my personal experience.

I'm sorry you did not make that very clear in your earlier messages (as you did now - very straight forward).

Also, why are you getting touchy. I was just trying to clear up common misconceptions about the archaeological profession. I think its important because there are others who might be interested in walking this line. I know maybe no one gives a hoot, but I think its a fair discussion (debate if you want to call it). And, don't forget, it takes two coins to click. You always have a choice to continue in the debate or not.

I'm sorry that you sounded like you have blown your top.

There are no winners or losers in this discussion, just wiser people after they read our discussion. Isn't anthropology/archaeology also about educating the people around you? After all Indiana Jones isn't really about the realities of archaeology, its only the fantasy side of archaeology, and its contributing to much stereotype about our archaeological profession.

Don't be angry. We share common interests.
Let the discussion drop here.

Rgds.
Doktor Jones

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: