Re: The news about Indy IV could actually be GOOD...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mr. Havlock from proxy-371.public.rwc.webtv.net on November 10, 1999 at 19:50:06:

In Reply to: The news about Indy IV could actually be GOOD... posted by ROB T. on November 09, 1999 at 23:05:10:

: If you read the update on the front page of Indyfan today then you know that it looks like the big three- Lucas/Spielberg/Ford are not in agreement about the script for Indy IV. Seems Lucas is happy with the script and the other two are not convinced. On the surface this seems like a bummer because it delays the shooting for Indy IV but if you look closer then it means that Spielberg was serious when he said that they wanted to make sure they had a good script.
: Spielberg and Ford are better judges of a quality script in my opinion than Lucas is, especially Spielberg, and I hope they both dig in their heels and hold out for the best script possible. Even if it means we have a longer wait for Indy IV I'd rather they were patient and put the best they have into it.
: Too often in Hollywood the script is the last consideration and the execs go with a lackluster screenplay in hopes that any problems can be fixed in postproduction. On paper I can understand this since the studios have schedules they need to stick to. They can't have people like Spielberg and Ford waiting around forever while some lowly writer tinkers over the script. It's not good business but the current system sacrifices art for commerce.
: The script that Lucas feels is good enough must not be all that great or Spielberg and Ford would be excited about it as well.
: I hope they all recognize that they can afford to pour all of Hollywood's creative juices into writing the most amazing script possible and I hope that Spielberg and Ford will stubbornly hold out until they see a script that will turn the whole world into a drooling bunch of Indyfans.
: Only then do I really want to see production of Indy IV proceed.

Have you forgotten that Lucas is the CREATOR of Indiana Jones?? Have you?? I trust Lucas more than Spieberg these days. Especially after 'Private Ryan'.
Has Spielberg forgotten how to make a fun movie?? He's gotten on this kick of making 'serious' films again. Not to mention the time he's wasted doctoring garbage like 'The Haunting' and 'T.M.O.Zorro'.
As for Lucas, my Opinion on T.P.M. is summed up in a old quote from Spielberg in the 'Raiders' soundtrack booklet.
"We cant anticipate success in the things that we do. You may write a sentence that will become chiseled in marble on someone's library, but you dont know that when you write it. And thats usually not the best motivation behind that kind of creativity anyway. I think if its fantastic and fun and adventurous, that gives us our best time, and very often will give us our best results also. These films, and the STAR WARS films, all of us working on those just regard them as something that would be fun for kids to see on a saturday morning and none of us, including George Lucas himsef, ever had any anticipation that they would become as successfull as they have become. I think thats after the fact, and if any of us could predict what ingredients or what series of mental attitudes could be strung together to create that kind of success, if we could do it on order, we'd all be multi-billionaires. But you cant. Its more elusive and more subtle, and as a consequence more interesting and even more fun".
-Steven Spielberg
THATS why Lucas doesnt do audience test screenings or any of that Hollywood money-grubbing bullshit. He did what he did on 'T.P.M.' because it was right for the movie. Maybe he could have brought in more adults if he'd left some of J.J.'s antics on the cutting room floor. But he wanted that stuff in there for the kids. So he left it. Period. 'The Phantom Menace' is worthy of the Star Wars name. Its just people like you who put it on a pedestal, then thrash Lucas because it didnt live up to the standards you set.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]