Dissertation

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alaska Jim from resnet1-148.resnet.umbc.edu on November 10, 1999 at 23:41:26:

In Reply to: Another map room observation... posted by ROB T. on November 10, 1999 at 23:16:45:

Belloq had precious little to go on for the height of the staff (no primary source), so it's also possible that his calculations/hole choice were based on less than certain evidence and shotgun research. Indy knew Abner for years while Abner was researching Tanis and the Ark, so of course he'd know better than Belloq, who only knows how to come in at the right moment to steal the treasure and the glory. Evidence of Belloq's incompetence can be seen in the frustration of the German commanders, who are all too familiar with Belloq's failure to produce results (the Fuerher is not a patient man; he wants constant reports" leading us to believe Belloq has had nothing or little to report in quite awhile - he's getting nowhere with anything and everything!).
Indy goes straight to Marion when he begins his search for the Ark, while the Nazis learn about it as they go ("Tanis development proceeding - acquire headpiece, staff of Ra . . ."). So Belloq could have used an entirely different hole (it is a BIG slab, but it's been awhile - a whole two months - since I've seen it, so I don't remember if the whole thing is covered in sand). He could have also convoluted/misunderstood the whole height-hole-time of year deal.
Of course, it could also be simply a stylistic device to heighten the tension and excitement surrounding the determination of the Ark's resting place . . . but where's the fun in that?

Sorry for the dissertation, but it's late and I'm procrastinating - sigh, the college life.

BTW, any single 19 female fans of Indy in here? Possibly from the MD/VA area? Just asking : )

AND ANOTHER THING: I have been trying to resist posting but I've been visiting more and more and it is slowly sucking me in . . . (Never underestimate the power of the Indy side . . .)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]