Kasdan is the man

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alaska Jim from resnet1-148.resnet.umbc.edu on November 10, 1999 at 23:50:34:

In Reply to: Agreed. And let's not forget Lawrence Kasdan. posted by ROB T. on November 10, 1999 at 23:39:50:

Agreed. The success of his films have created the perception of Lucas as a creative genius - and while the man deserves some credit, he certainly is not the big guy on campus that he thinks he is - I mean, come on - putting Trenches of Hell on the same level as Saving Private Ryan?!?!?!

: I think we give Lucas too much credit for Indy. He was not as involved with the creation of this character as he was with the "Star Wars" mythology. I think Lucas only created the bare bones skeleton of Indiana Jones and Spielberg, Ford and screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan were responsible for turning him into a flesh and blood hero.
: In an article on the making of "Raiders" Kasdan told how it was he who named every character in "Raiders" with the exception of Indy. Lucas or Spielberg said it was Kasdan who fleshed out the story for "Raiders" and few could argue that it is one of the best adventure scripts ever written. (If I can find that article I'll post it)
: With films being such a collaborative medium, the success of Indy can't be attributed to Lucas alone.
: Lucas can, however, be held responsible for the lackluster "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles." It was his decision to turn it into educational TV and have our intrepid adventurer interact with every person of any historical significance whatsoever during the early 1900's. His decision to tone down the action in favor of trying to teach history.
: Just like with "Star Wars" I'm afraid that Lucas has lost touch with the true meaning of these two movie series and I think the farther he stays away from Indy IV, the better it will be for all of us.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]