Re: Yes, Kasdan was key!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dirk Pitt from spider-we071.proxy.aol.com on November 11, 1999 at 06:19:16:

In Reply to: Okay, here's that article on Kasdan... posted by ROB T. on November 11, 1999 at 03:49:16:

: http://www.smartlink.net/~deej7/album1.htm will take you to an article on the making of "Raiders" which details some of the brainstorming that took place in the creation of the script.

Yes, one cannot forget Kasdan! After all, his Raiders script was in many ways the true stroke of originality (just notice how derivative -- not necessarily in bad way, however, the next two films are). That article was great, not the least because it confirms many of my problems with Lucas. Kasdan is completely right that Lucas too often sacrifices character development for action. I would have liked to see the full scene with Marion and Indy in the bar, etc.

And I agree with Rob that we need only look to the Young Indy Chronicles to see what Lucas would do with the real Indy if left to his own devices. First of all, the whole history lesson thing is silly and a waste of an opportunity for a Bildungsroman youth for Indy (that's why I stopped watching the series when it was first on ABC and why I haven't been able to stomach the series now that it's on USA). Secondly, Lucas's Young Indy is inconsistent with the real Indy's past character. From Raiders and Last Crusade we are led to believe that the young Indy was actually rather selfish and stubbornly self-centered. It's almost as if his adventures in the three movies represent his redemption of himself for his selfish past: his break with Ravenwood, his taking advantage and then abandoning of young Marion ("a child"), and his break with his Dad. Lucas is to caught up with his little agendas, usually to the detriment of the characters -- as with his change of that scene in Star Wars where Han Solo shoots Jaba's henchman because he's had enough (not "in self-defense").

-- Dirk

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]