Lucas is not the Antichrist

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Beowulf from FPARK-244-106.usae.bah.com on November 11, 1999 at 09:04:42:

In Reply to: Agreed. And let's not forget Lawrence Kasdan. posted by ROB T. on November 10, 1999 at 23:39:50:

I completely agree that Kasdan should be given a large amount of the credit with the success of Indy, however, I think you're bashing Lucas for the wrong reasons. Lucas NEVER instended the YIJC to be similar in tone to the movies. To compare the two and say that the YIJC is slwoer paced and more of a history lesson is not a criticism, but a compliment to Lucas since that is what he wanted. I'm not saying you have to like Young Indy because you liked the movies, but to say that if Lucas is given too much imput on Indy IV it will turn out to be the same as the YIJC is absurd. His purpose with YIJC was to tell different types of stories, teach a little history to those who are not history buffs (Lord knows I needed a brush up course) and at the same time use a character that everyone was familiar with in order to attract viewers. he even went as far in an interview in the early 90's as to say that the Indy movies were sort of a dramatic theatrical (i.e., not 100% accurate and exagerated) representation of the real life person whose life is portrayed in the YUJC. I'm not saying I like the idea of thinking of the YIJC as the TRUE Indy and the movie versions as the Hollywood Indy, but I rbing it up just to illustrate how Lucas in no way intended for the tone of the TV series to be the same as the movies (nor would he intend for the tone of the 4th movie to be like the TV series).

The way I see it is the Lucas, Spielberg, Ford (plus a good screen writer) mix has worked 3 times so far - I put my faith in the same mix to work a 4th time...

: Lucas can, however, be held responsible for the lackluster "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles." It was his decision to turn it into educational TV and have our intrepid adventurer interact with every person of any historical significance whatsoever during the early 1900's. His decision to tone down the action in favor of trying to teach history.
: Just like with "Star Wars" I'm afraid that Lucas has lost touch with the true meaning of these two movie series and I think the farther he stays away from Indy IV, the better it will be for all of us.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]