Indiana Jones and the Fate of the Unknown Lable...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Schulte from ascend67.extern.uni-essen.de on June 01, 1998 at 13:23:13:

In Reply to: Re: Mark VII Bag? posted by Michaelson on June 01, 1998 at 13:07:19:

: : : I know we pretty much covered this topic, however I have a question about one of the variations concerning the attachment loop holding the metal rings to the bag. So far I have found both a canvas and a cotton webbing versions for the 1942 bags in the past. I was wondering if any other collectors, knew what the deal is on this variation, and which might be more accurate to the Indy Trilogy. The main reason I am asking is, I found one Mark VII bag with the
: : : " VII W & G 1932 LTD 1942" printing, like the one sold at the Indiana Jones Butterfeild auction a few years back. It has the cotton webbing ring attachment, but I was under the impression they were canvas. I know, I am obsessed with minor details , but I would appreciate any input.

: : : Thanks

: : : Dan

: : In my opinion the 'original' attachment loop was cotton. Just watch
: : the bridge scenes again in ToD. You can see the light, yellowish green
: : cotton loops very well, especially during the scene when Indy and
: : Mola Ram are hanging at the bridge. I have got the "VII W & G 1932 LTD
: : 1943" version and it has cotton loops as well. And like you said the
: : 1942 model carried in ToD had cotton loops instead of canvas.

: : I'd appreciate any more information about the loops as they weren't
: : mentioned before...

: : Regards,
: : -Max

: : PS: By the way, Dan, has this Mark Allen guy a website???

: Gentlemen, I've always found the W & G 1932 stamping very interesting. I wish I could remember the name of the company that W & G stands for, because I have one of their catalogs at my house as I write this and can't remember the company. They have been a competetor of Abercrombie and Fitch for years, well, since the late 1800's in adventurer gear. W & G still exists, and has had such customers as Teddy Roosevelt, Amundson, Hemingway, and all the great explorers and adventurers that the 20th century has ever created. Would the mark VII bag be one of their original designs from 1932, adapted by the British as a gas mask design for their military? Might explain the dual dates on your satchels, with the W & G listing. I'll try and get their name tonight. I believe the "G" is Greer, but I'm not sure. Regards. Michaelson

Michaelson, from your description you seem to be reffering to the
company Willis & Geiger? At least I know that Hemmingway was customer
of them. However, I think they mean another firm. I recently saw the
name of an English firm in a catalogue as well but I can't remember
it. Willis & Geiger is an American firm, is it? Damn, I can't remember
that $§#&% name...
I think the date 1932 reffers to the FIRST version of the bag or the
date the firm was founded.

Regards,
-Max

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup: