On the subject of Lucas bashing.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ROB T. from 162.10.138.197 on November 12, 1999 at 04:19:19:

I've noticed on this site and other places that anytime someone complains about George Lucas and the direction he is taking the "Star Wars" films or the Indy films there are always a few people who come to his defense saying that he can do whatever he wants with them since they are his creations. Some people seem to feel that he has no obligation to the fans and that we have no right to criticize.
I realize that any complaints the fans have fall on deaf ears and that individually we have no power and no way to stop any development that we disapprove of. George Lucas created "Star Wars" and Indiana Jones and he has a complete right to do with them whatever he wants without taking anyone elses feelings into consideration and there's nothing I can do to stop him.
If he wants to put Indy in short pants and have him speak Yiddish or if he wants to have Luke Skywalker and Chewbacca become lovers then so be it. I can't change it anymore than I can stop him from having Greedo shoot first or changing the title of "Raiders."
However, we do have a right to complain about these things because it is us fans who made Lucas a rich man. He may have created these characters but without our interest and support Indiana Jones would just be a series of bedtime stories that he tells to his children before bed. And Reagan would've had to come up with some other nickname for his strategic air defense system.
So it's true that all we can really do is wail into the wind about developments we don't like but it is not true that Lucas has no obligation to us fans.
I'd wager that most of the people on this site have spent more time thinking about Indy and have a stronger emotional interest in what happens to him than even George Lucas has and that gives us certain rights where he is concerned. At least morally. I think it is this seeming disregard for the fans that is fueling the backlash against Lucas.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]