Re: Indiana Jones and the Fate of the Unknown Lable...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Borton from pm085-15.dialip.mich.net on June 01, 1998 at 22:14:19:

In Reply to: Re: Indiana Jones and the Fate of the Unknown Lable... posted by Michaelson on June 01, 1998 at 13:30:56:

: : : Gentlemen, I've always found the W & G 1932 stamping very interesting. I wish I could remember the name of the company that W & G stands for, because I have one of their catalogs at my house as I write this and can't remember the company. They have been a competetor of Abercrombie and Fitch for years, well, since the late 1800's in adventurer gear. W & G still exists, and has had such customers as Teddy Roosevelt, Amundson, Hemingway, and all the great explorers and adventurers that the 20th century has ever created. Would the mark VII bag be one of their original designs from 1932, adapted by the British as a gas mask design for their military? Might explain the dual dates on your satchels, with the W & G listing. I'll try and get their name tonight. I believe the "G" is Greer, but I'm not sure. Regards. Michaelson

: : Michaelson, from your description you seem to be reffering to the
: : company Willis & Geiger? At least I know that Hemmingway was customer
: : of them. However, I think they mean another firm. I recently saw the
: : name of an English firm in a catalogue as well but I can't remember
: : it. Willis & Geiger is an American firm, is it? Damn, I can't remember
: : that $§#&% name...
: : I think the date 1932 reffers to the FIRST version of the bag or the
: : date the firm was founded.

: : Regards,
: : -Max

: Yes, THAT'S the name of that company. You've solved my brain lapse. Yes, they are an American company, and have been connected with military clothing and gear for years. They created the A-2 and A-1 original flight jackets, that they still sell. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they may be the W & G, but then not much surprises me anymore......Regards. Michaelson

Max, Michaelson, No kidding that is really interesting. I had no Idea that the bags could be one of Willis & Geiger’s products. I wonder what the story is with the J.H & Co.(W) LTD Mark VII bags, they are basically Identical in design.

Dan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]