Don't hold Ford's age against him.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ROB T. from 162.10.138.197 on November 14, 1999 at 22:11:55:

In Reply to: Indy Jones 4 is never going to happen posted by The Incredible Guy With All the Answers to All the Worlds Problems and Then Some on November 14, 1999 at 12:41:40:

I might see your point about Ford's age and the improbability of a fourth Indy film except for a few things. First, we have the big three insisting that their will be another Indy flick. Lucas/Spielberg/Ford wouldn't feed the rumours in every interview if they were just gonna pull out at a later date.
I'm sure the subject of Ford's age has come up during private talks between the three of them and they seem to feel that Ford is in good enough shape that it isn't that big an issue. If a person takes good care of themselves then there's no reason that they can't be as tough at seventy as they were at thirty. There are three old guys at my gym who can keep up with any of us younger guys without any trouble.
I can't see Ford embarassing himself by being so vocal about the fact that he could still do another Indy flick if he were just gonna pull out later. He has to know that if Indy IV doesn't come about that people will insist it was because he couldn't handle it. If he really thought that there couldn't be another Indy film due to his age, I'm sure he would've come out and said that he didn't see a need for another. He's said that he doesn't want to play Han Solo again so I don't think he'd have a problem saying he didn't want to play Indy again.
Second, there's absolutely no reason for the big three to continually feed rumours of another Indy flick if they have no intention of making another one. What's in it for them to sow the seeds of Indy IV if they know that it won't come to pass?
As for our "sad devotion" to Indy IV, if they announced tomorrow that they changed their minds about Indy IV, I don't think anyone on this site would jump out a window or blow their brains out. We'd rail about it for a few days and then get on with it.
I, for one, would rather they retire Indy than to make a film at this date with a bad script. In fact I think the script issue is far more important than Ford's age. The age thing can always be addressed in the film by referring to Indy being too old for this just like they do with the "Lethal Weapon" films.
So don't count Indy IV out. We may have a long wait but it's coming.

And I'll bet that even at 57, Harrison Ford can still kick your butt.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]