Actually, you are completely wrong about Lucas' friends

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brett (Maverick) Lambert from 209.5.179.15 on November 15, 1999 at 06:33:06:

In Reply to: Didn't he say the same thing about "Phantom Menace?" posted by ROB T. on November 14, 1999 at 22:22:09:

: This is something that bugs me about Lucas' friends. He shows them his movie and instead of telling him where there are problems they praise it to the skies and let it go out that way. Spielberg and Ron Howard and others were shown "Phantom Menace" before it was released and they kept their mouths shut about Jar Jar and the weak script and the fakey looking special effects when they could've pulled him aside and suggested some changes.
: If I was about to go out with spinach stuck between my teeth I'd hope one of my friends would point it out to me.

Probably, the reason they praised TPM to the skies was because they loved it. The effects were outstanding (not fake), and maybe they did genuinely like Jar Jar and didn't have a problem with him. Anyways, Lucas' friends don't have to be polite about any of his movies. When he first screened Star Wars: A New Hope to Spielberg, Brian De Palma and a few others, everybody hated it. Brian DePalma detested it, making fun of everything possible, when Vader first appeared he yelled sarcastically: "That's your villain?!?! That's the best you can come up with?" and many other apalling things. The only one who liked it was Spielberg who thought the film would be a hit and make $100 million (which was definitely the most optimistic margin at the time, Lucas thought he'd be lucky to break even). I'm currently reading Lucas' biography, and Lucas' friends can be anything but nice to him.

-----------

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]