A bit mor on the finer points...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on November 15, 1999 at 11:12:07:

In Reply to: Re: Just a point posted by Michaelson on November 12, 1999 at 14:15:53:

: : What do you mean by frying the fiber?.... It's just some slightly ruubbing around the seams, just wipes a bit of colour... didn't rub too much to get to the fibers... Any way does the Leather Groom from Letap correct the mess if it happens?... I mean would them get rehydrated with this product?... thanks...By the way how does the vaseline treatment works? Is it fine?

: Once you damage the leather fibers, no matter WHAT you put on the jacket, it will not repair the damage you've done with the alcohol. When moisture is pulled out of leather, it's just that, moisture, and can be replaced using Pecards or Letap/lexol leather treatments. Damaged fibers by being burned by the alchol (rapid removal of the moisture, leading to the cracking and break down of the leather) on the other hand can not be repaired. You'll only be able to put enough product to try and keep the leather from breaking down any further, rendering the leather useless. Hope we have stressed this strongly enough....alcohol on leather, regardless of amount, is not a good idea in any camp. Regards. Michaelson

Putting alchohol on any part of the leather is bad enough, but the seams? These are the areas that will take a lot of stress. I mention this just in case your at all discounting what we're saying, i.e. "well a little on the seams won't do any harm." Let your jacket age by wearing it. You'll get there, just be patient.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: