Franklin W. Dixon was a pseudonym for Edward Stratemeyer!!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by The Man with the Hat from port102.maxc06.bignet.net on November 16, 1999 at 16:56:56:

In Reply to: Stratemeyer didn't create the Hardy Boys! Franklin W. Dixon did!(NM) posted by Short Round on November 16, 1999 at 16:28:03:

: : : : I'm starting to like YIJC a lot and there is something in YIJC that I like more than the three main movies but still the other movies outrank YIJC. And YIJC kinda reminds me of The Hardy Boys, wouldn'tcha think? I used to read quite a few Hardy Boys books and seen a lot of episodes. Although I'm not too interested in the Nancy Drew episodes I would still eventually sit around for those. I especially liked the transelvania Hardy Boys episode which had a little Indy-ness to it. Do you think Hardy Boys had any inspiration on YIJ? And is there any Hardy Boy fans here? I'm not interested much in them as I was. See ya, Shorty.
: : : : "There were no puppets in this movie!" -Tom Servo, MST3K: TM.

Edward Stratemeyer created something called the "Stratemeyer Syndicate" where he would create the main characters and the stories, then turn it over to a member of the Syndicate to write!! This is how he was able to write hundreds of books in a relatively short period of time!! After Stratemeyers death, his daughter tried to keep the Syndicate alive, but there was trouble when she tried to pass off all the future novels as her own work, giving no credit to members of the Syndicate!! The Syndicate abandoned Ms. Stratemeyer (her name escapes me!! It wasn't Nancy!!). The Syndicate name stayed on everything until the late 70s or early 80s when it was bought out by uh...Dell books, I think!! Anyway, that's the story of why the Hardy Boys are emblazoned with the name of Franklin W. Dixon, yet such a man never existed!! As further proof, you will find in the Princeton, 1916 episode that Edward is working on a Tom Swift novel, trying to figure out how to get Tom out of an Incan tomb!! If you'll check the cover of any Tom Swift book, you'll see that it was written by Victor Appleton II. This was yet another pen name used by the Stratemeyer Syndicate!!

Hope this helps!!

: : The Man with the Hat

: : "Fortune and Glory, Kid. Fortune and Glory."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: