Re: genius

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by graml from mariner.org on November 18, 1999 at 12:12:51:

In Reply to: Re: genius posted by Brandon on November 18, 1999 at 10:05:28:

: : : I realize Grail Diaries have fallen somewhat out of vogue, but I still love this little prop. I thought I'd share this with the Forum. While I really love the replicas being made out there, I always wanted one to carry and use as a real diary of my own. I have been using a Franklin planner for many years, and this year I decided to convert my Franklin into a Grail Diary, thus making a useable Grail Diary replica. One has to forgive some inconsistencies with the original movie prop, but if this intrigues you, read on.

: : : I bought a "Pocket Trimline" Franklin planner in a burgundy simulated leather finish. This is a 6-ring loose leaf planner, and its dimensions are within 1/8 inch of the original prop. Then I bought "Pocket Magellan" daily pages to put in it. These are a light tan, actually looking somewhat antique. I also bought blank pages to add maps and other stuff I carried in my larger, original planner. Airline and baseball ticket stubs, and other tidbits of memorablia coupled with normal wear and tear really gave the planner the look, weight and feel of the real Diary. I made several other modifications and use a black elastic band around the book. It even fits nicely in my LC wested pocket!

: : : Except for it being loose-leaf, if you saw it sitting closed on my desk you'd swear it was the real thing. If anyone is interested in exactly what I did and how to do it, let me know. If, on the other hand, I have simply pushed the "geek envelope" too far, my planner and I will just fade quietly away...

: : : Best wishes to all,
: : : Prestor John

: : Hey. Sounds like a good idea to me. If the thing keeps well, in 100
: : years your diary could be a valuable tool to social historians. I'd
: : keep one myself if only I had something of value to write down.
: : "Today I went to the deli and had a pastrami on rye" would probably
: : crop up over and over if I kept something like this. Just my two
: : cents.
: : -graml

: You don't have to put in great entries every time. I always enjoy hearing about waht people do on
: a daily basis, and years from now, people will be able to see what kind of person you were and you can see
: what kind of person you have become. It's actually pretty fun.

That's a good point. As a history major, I often cursed those danged
16th century mariners for not keeping better journals. Of course,
many of them were illiterate, anyway. And the thought of observing
the changes in a person's character over a period of years is
something I hadn't even considered. Thanks for putting this historian
back in a historical state of mind.
-graml
PS Today I went to the deli and had a turkey on kaiser w/ spicy mustard.
See how much I've changed already?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]