Re: I would do it a little differently...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from ppp-40.COL.cableone.net on November 19, 1999 at 09:54:02:

In Reply to: I would do it a little differently... posted by Steve on November 19, 1999 at 09:23:33:

: : : Yeah I got that Akubra Bushman in the mail today and it's pretty cool...except for the color. The picture on David Morgan's website seemed just a tad or twelve darker than it does in real life. The color is just a lil' bit lighter than the hat Indy had on the bridge in "Temple of Doom". Other than that the hat's aight. It only took like 4 seconds to shape it. The felt's pretty stiff so I won't even have to steam-shape it, the dents and bashes just popped into place. The inside is even pretty close to Indy's. It's got the white satin-type lining with a crest in the middle covered by a plastic crown liner. I popped in "Raiders" when I was dinkin' with the shape of the hat and I slow-mo'ed the scene where he boards the plane for Nepal and I ended up creatin' almost a dead ringer. The height after bashing in the front is about 4 7/8", 4 1/4" in back, and 5" on the sides. I still gotta get the brim cut down so if anybody wants to give me some concrete measurements I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

: : :
: : : Austin....Danger Powers
: : : "I had to pop a cop because he wasn't giving me my props in Oak Town."On the brim dimensions, it really depends on your hat size. If you were say 7 3/8 and smaller, I'd go with 2 7/8 on the front and back and 2 3/4 on the sides. I have a 7 5/8 Drover from David, and I have the brim cut to 3 on the front and back, and 2 7/8 on the sides - it looks great (see IndyGear under Fedora).

: : On the color - that was why I went with the Drover. It is darker, although with more of a gray tint to it. Also the crown on the drover was significantly taller, though a bit less squared.

: : The felt is great, and was very easy to shape. I think you'll be very happy with the hat. I did my own ribbon, which is a lot easier to do then you might think. Let me know if you'd like a walk through the process.

: : Wear it well!

: : Cheers!

: : Patterson

Sorry bout that double post, got a little triger happy. I would do it a little differently than Patterson. I would allow 1/4" difference between the front and sides, instead of 1/8". The reason is that to me the 1/8" is hardly discernable as a dimensional cut hat. While I have always felt that Indy's hats were all different in the three movies, I have also been of the opinion that all sported dimensional cut brims. As you know his fedoras suposedly measured 2 3/4 on the front, and 2 1/2 on the sides. I wear a 7 1/4 sized hat and this size cut looks right to me. With this being stated, I will say that the Akubra that I have waiting on will be cut to 2 7/8 on the front and back, and 2 5/8 on the sides. Again this uses 1/4" inch variance so the dimensional cut will be obvious. I just want to see the effect of this 1/8" larger cut. I do think that Patterson is right on the larger hat sizes needing the brim size adjusted accordingly. One thing you could do is to have the brim cut to Patterson's specs, and if the brim seemed a bit too wide, you could always have it recut on the sides. Alot can be said for the old trial and error! I have personally ruined several nice
Stetson hats in my search for the perfect "look". The good thing about this costly experiment, is that I have learned what to do and what not to do in regards to modifying a hat. I too have replaced several ribbons with excellent results. Good luck on your quest. steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]