Re: What is the difference between hide and lambskin?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on November 22, 1999 at 10:44:45:

In Reply to: Re: What is the difference between hide and lambskin? posted by Michaelson on November 19, 1999 at 13:34:35:

: : Boy am I confused! I am close to ordering a wested, and had made my mind up to order the new lambskin. However, after reading a few posts, I am now not so sure. Am I right in presuming that the lambskin is thinner than the hide? I understand the hide material is used for the pre-distressed jackets and I guess it must have to be thicker in order to weather the abuse given it during the procedure. I saw a picture of Patterson's hide jacket in Indy Gear, and if I remember correctly, he had ordered a predistresed jacket, and wested forgot to distress it. That jacket looks great! Can you order this hide jacket undistressed? And does anyone know the difference between hide and skin? Is it on the same basis a split cowhide versus full grain hide? Seems to me if the hide is thicker, it would be more durable, and last longer. Also does the hide have the same grain pattern ?

: It's simply the age of the animal that the leather was obtained from. The younger animal has the softer yet denser fibered skin that translates to the same type of finished leather. The hide is from an older, or at least more mature animal that makes the leather heavier due to that more advanced age. Hope this helps. Regards. Michaelson

On durability, the jury is out. The people at Wested will tell you that the hide is more durable. Logic would lead me to believe that a denser material ought to be more durable overall, pound for pound. The fact that the hide is heavier overall tells me that it’s probably a wash.

One discussion on the subject that might be worth rehashing - awhile back I asked my brother-in-law and one of his friends about the difference. They are both Boeing engineers, and really got into the subject, especially after I gave Michaelson's description of the two materials, i.e. thinner/lighter/denser vs. thicker/heavier/less dense. Assuming that they are roughly similar on a pound-for-pound basis, their conclusion was that the real difference would be in the material’s ability to withstand intense trauma. They guessed that the lighter more dense material would be more likely to tear if caught on a sharp object, while the heavier material would probably fare better.

Not to offend any engineers out there, but can't you just see these guys with pocket protectors really getting into this.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: