GoldenEye rocked! The best of the Brosnan Bonds, Tomorrow Never Dies was really cool, but TWINE just SUCKED!!! Watch the Connery Bonds, way better movies! (nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brett (Maverick) Lambert from port2.westworld.ca on November 22, 1999 at 14:54:51:

In Reply to: Aside from a few problems, I thought it was great! posted by J on November 20, 1999 at 13:37:35:

: I just got back from seeing the movie and I thought it was great. First, to be honest, the only other two Bond movies I've seen from beginning to end are Brosnan's "Goldeneye" and "Tomorrow Never Dies" (and I loved them too), so I can't really compare it to the older movies.

: First a few problems. These don't ruin the movie, but just stuff that I thought could have been done better. Renard. He isn't really the villian in the movie, for one thing (I won't say who is, but its a good twist). He's not even in the first half. Still, you have this guy who has no feeling or pain, there should be some examples of this besides him just holding a burning rock. Second (and this is the biggest problem with the movie), the ending. I understand that you need to end a Bond film with something blowing up good, but when it really should have been a matter of tying up loose ends while giving a last jolt of excitement (the real climax is just before the last action sequence, and is quite good). Its not that its badly done (and it is where Renard actually becomes interesting), but it just goes ON and ON for way too long. Third, Denise Richards. Its not really her fault, but her character just serves little to no purpose (it would have just as easy for Q to pop up and give 007 something that disarms the bomb). She just isn't fleshed out.

: Now, onto the good. Brosnan continues to be excellent as Bond. The story is on a similar level to "Goldeneye", where things get very personal for Bond (and he ends up having to do more than save the world), while still managing to be closer to "Tomorrow..." in terms of action. The opening is AMAZING! It just kept on building up bigger and bigger. Sophie Marcaeau started out a bit dull, but became more interesting as the movie went on. Just about every action sequence worked (aside from what I said about the ending).

: Overall, (as a first impression. I'll probably have to see it again to know for sure) I'd place "The World Is Not Enough" second of Pierce Brosnan's Bond movies (a bit below, my favorite of the three, "Tomorrow Never Dies" and either about the same or a little better than "Goldeneye", except "Goldeneye" had a WAY better ending).

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]