Re: Jacket wish list...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim (London) from 195.44.37.106 on November 24, 1999 at 09:51:12:

In Reply to: Jacket wish list... posted by Patterson on November 24, 1999 at 09:19:42:

: Wouldn't it be cool if David Hack had an accurate pattern to make his jackets from? I'm sure we could talk him into making his jackets from goat, or dare I even wish, horse hide? Have any of you actually seen a jacket made from horse hide? That's one they'd have to drag behind a truck just to add a little wear around the seams!

: Anyway, I'm just frustrated Peter won't make a Wested from goat. Horse would be cool, but I'd settle for goat.

: Just wish'n.

: Cheers!

: Patterson

I'm not sure that goatskin would look that great as it seems to have too much grain, in a unique, pebble pattern. It is the creasing in the smooth skin or hide that makes the Wested look so good straight away. Part of the problem with the ageing of Westeds come from the fact that they are SO soft. I have a top quality A-2 repro made from goatskin by Eastman (HPA in the US) and this will take years to be as soft as my Wested is now. It is a case of wearing in a jacket rather than wearing a jacket out...! And the scuffing, ageing and softening all becomes one process. This is the reason I went for the pre-distressed Wested as I knew how soft they were, and wanted the instant look. I am not saying that they aren't good quality by any means, but you do not require the COMPLETE "breaking in process".
I have seen horsehide A-2s and although these start of as stiff as cardboard, they go incredibly soft through use, and have a nice smooth finish like a Wested but the grain becomes permanent. This should be your first choice...! Best wishes (fellow jacket fan)...

Tim(London)...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]