On character...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ROB T. from 162.10.138.197 on November 24, 1999 at 22:19:24:

In Reply to: Re: Question for everybody posted by Steve on November 24, 1999 at 09:42:37:

I think Skipmeister was right on target with why the Indy films stand the test of time better than other movies so I don't really have anything to add to that but I wanted to address Steve's comments about the era of the 1930's.
I think we look back on that time with rose-colored glasses and see the people of that time in a false light. It's true that if you lived in a small town in the thirties that you would've left your doors unlocked but that's because everyone knew everyone else. If a stranger came to town he was met with suspicion far higher than we greet strangers with today; it's hard to steal from people when everyone you meet greets you with a shotgun and that's the way it was in rural areas in the thirties. In the cities they locked their doors back then just like we do now.
These high-minded people of the thirties were the same ones who'd linch a black man if he whistled at a white woman. The same ones who ran restaurants where a black person couldn't sit at the counter for a cup of coffee.
These were the people who'd run a girl out of town if she was unmarried and got pregnant.
These were the people who interred anyone of Asian origin after the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
These people that we credit with saving the world during World War Two (and they certainly did) are the same ones who stood back and let Hitler take over all of Europe during the thirties. They flat-out refused to get involved in WWII until Japan attacked Pearl Harbor and there are those who say that Roosevelt allowed that attack to force an apathetic America to involve itself with Europe's troubles. Europe screamed for help during the thirties and America did very little.

Remember that stuff too.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]