To Rob T concerning character and the 30's

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from ppp-191.COL.cableone.net on November 25, 1999 at 10:33:44:

Hi. I appreciate the response. Yes we do look back on the past sometimes with rose colored glasses, but I don't think I see those people in a "false light". I simply said that I think people had more character in those days. Most of this is nothing more than a reliance on observations that I have made when comparing the present to the time that I grew up. I can honestly tell you, there has been a dramatic transformation. And I had the honor of knowing my gandparents, and even one great grandfather. They were an entirely different people than what we have today. And of course they were of that era. I do realize that no era is without it's own evils. This is the history of humankind. As far as the Japanese Americans being hauled off to internment camp, well have you ever considered that they certainly were much safer there away from mob hysteria that exists in times of great peril. War is not only hell on the battlefield, but it is hell at home as well. Don't forget, we were attacked! There was more at stake than at any other time in the history of this country. To me, sending potential enenies off to camps was the most humane thing we could do. Hitler would have simply executed all of them. That we didn't do that is "character".
When I was growing up on a farm in the country we never had to lock our doors, and yes we had guns. I now have to lock my doors every night, and I have many guns. I still live in the country. We used to never have to lock our church, but that too has changed. Why? Not enough people of character. Bottom line. My wife is a school teacher, and her father was the Superintendant of Education here locally for decades. He simply can't comprehend what is going on in our schools. Why? He can't conceive how people could have lost so much character in his lifetime. (He is 84) So yes no era is without it's evils, but I'll take the 30's over today hands down. Regards, Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]