Re: I don't know.....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian K. from kbowen.xyplex.com on November 26, 1999 at 13:31:39:

In Reply to: I don't know..... posted by Indiana Jayne on November 26, 1999 at 07:05:53:

: If they make Indy 4 now, that would still be okay right?? I mean, Harrison Ford said that he could still run and jump when he touches 60. Anyway, I don't think the number 4 sounds that bad. Maybe Indy 4 will be about an older, wiser and more experienced Indy. And, if that's the last Indy movie starred by Mr. Ford, I guess..I guess Sean Patrick Flannery won't be so bad after all. I'd really HATE to see the end of Indiana Jones. I know it won't be the same without Harry but I really, really, really, really, really, really don't want Indiana Jones movies to be over. Don't you think the whole idea is just so sad? Gosh, I have never been this concerned. Doesn't anybody feel the same way too?

: I don't feel like smiling anymore,
: Indiana Jayne

Hi Jayne, Hope you don't mind my jumping in on the discussion like this -

It all depends on how well they can make the story. Look at all the franchises that have been, or are being destroyed because people did not know when to stop. Right off the bat I can think of Lethal Weapon and Star Trek as perfect examples ( I'm sure I could think of many more if I put some thought in it ). Look at LW4...I consider it HORRIBLE....what happened to the dark edginess ( for lack of a better word ) that Gibson put into Riggs? He had to dye his hair to play the character, he wasn't nearly as fit, and the plot was thinner than the paper it was written on. I'm not trying to make fun of Mr. Gibson here, its a natural thing and it happens to all of us, he's just not in his 20's and 30's anymore. The same thing is going to become painfully apparant in Indy. Don't get me wrong, both Harrison and Mel are in better shape than the average 50 something guy, but the role has to change to accomodate the older actor. That's exactly what happened in LW, and that's what'll happen in Indy. Indy is a very different kind of role, granted, but they are both very physical. The only way such deficiencies will be overcome is if there is a really really compelling story behind it. The problem is, putting an emotionally compelling story into Indiana Jones is getting away from the premise behind the character, as he's supposed to be remeniscent of the B movie adventure serials of the past. When did those ever deal with weighty stories? Indy 3 was pushing the boundry of that as it was with the relationship between Connery and Ford. Consequently, coming up with just the right story is going to be very, very hard.

As for Star Trek, that's a series that's been trying to keep going for 30+ years now and its painfully evident in all the production. Do you really want to see the quality deteriorate like that? There comes a point when you run out of genuinely exciting, new material and you start rehashing and rehashing. This is also something I don't want to see happen to our friend Dr. Jones. The key to it all is whether they can produce an Indy 4 with Harrison that has an exciting, FRESH story ( not just find the artifact, get shot at on the way, save western civilization again ), while still keeping true to the adventure serials from which Indy drew his inspiration.

That's my take on continuing the Jones saga
-Brian K.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: