Don't be too critical...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on November 26, 1999 at 13:49:20:

In Reply to: Leather dressing the Indy jacket... posted by Brian on November 26, 1999 at 02:42:57:

: Can I just ask something?

: Why do some of you "leather treat" your jackets and why so often? It will affect the ageing process dramatically.

: I appreciate that it is valued and you want it to last but you could let it age first then preserve it in that Indy look?

: I'm not criticising, just simply curious if there is a particular reason for keeping it "new" looking?

: I've had my Cooper for 10 years now (well 10 years in January) and never once treated the leather. And it looks perectly like Indy's in colour and tone (apart from all the sandpapered bits). I am considering having it treated now as the leather is seeming to "dry" a little but I am worried it will affect the look too much.

: Any thoughts?

: Thanks & regards,
: Brian

..Brian, as you're not taking into consideration the different climates that we live in. Individuals, such as Patterson, live in a very humid, wet area and if he doesn't treat his, and often, the leather can and will eventually crack. The old adage of an ounce of prevention is equal to a pound of cure is very appropriate here, as we can't just walk down to Wal-Mart and replace these jackets, nor can most of us afford to shell out the $270+ very often to replace one once it's decided to go south on us, because once it's done that, we're SOL. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]