Ford's influence on the "look" of the Indy hat.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Austin Powers from dialupF158.mpls.uswest.net on November 28, 1999 at 23:43:08:

I remember watching the making of "Raiders" as a kid and noticing a blatant difference in the appearance of the hats Harrison Ford wore, and the ones the stunt guys sported. Ford's hats always looked perfectly shaped and had a certain "look" to 'em. The brim was always curled and "lipped" in the right spots, the crease always had a sharp edge to it. Meanwhile the stunt guys wore hats that looked like Rosie O'Donnell sat on 'em a couple times. The brims were flat as Ally McBeal, the creases were nonexistent, and the crowns almost had a tear-drop shape to 'em. Now I just figured this was part of Hollywood's scheme of makin' sure the star had the best lookin' wardrobe. But "Witness" was on TV the other day and I watched a few minutes of the barn raising scene and I noticed a familiar "look" in the straw hat ol' Mr. Ford was wearin'. The crown wasn't very tall and I don't think there were any creases in the hat, but the brim was curved and shaped just like the Indy hat. None of the other Amish weasels had hats that looked the same. Theirs all had the standard "Ally McBeal" brim appearance. All I can figure is that Harrison Ford himself was personally responsible for the brim shaping, for sure on "Witness" and probably in "the trilogy" too. Maybe that's why it's so damn hard to find a hat that's an EXACT reproduction....maybe somebody oughta send their Herbert Johnson out to Jackson Hole, Wyoming to be properly shaped.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]