Re: Concerning the 30's

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Major Paul from 147.239.118.3 on November 29, 1999 at 17:08:37:

In Reply to: Re: For Rob T and Steve concerning the 30's posted by Steve on November 29, 1999 at 11:20:58:

:::: Simply superb discussion here. The topic has definitely touched a nerve among Indy fans and, perhaps to a greater extent, a generation weary of moral degradation, insensitivity, and selfishness in our "modern" society. Where has the ideal of the morally courageous, selfless American gone? I'm not talking "bible thumping" here. I'm talking about your average "Joe" who, while not perfect, tried to do the right thing, looked out for their families and neighbors, and understood he/she was responsible for his/her actions. (I know lawyers just cringe remembering those days. Back then, folks thought a law suit was just something lawyers wore.) I think that's why we generally believe good things of the generation that survived the Depression (the 30s) and saved the world (WWII), even if they did deprive Japanese Americans of their civil rights. Some people say we romanticize that time period too much. Perhaps. But if I could live with people who had even one half of the values/moral courage of that generation, it would be 10 times better than what I'm seeing now. So unless that happens, I'm going to continue watching the Indy reels and those older classics like Casablanca and take a little comfort from that. -MP

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]