Re: Better Lucas than Spielberg

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indiana Joe from dialup45.multilinkws.com on November 30, 1999 at 11:17:15:

In Reply to: Please, anyone but George Lucas... posted by ROB T. on November 29, 1999 at 23:28:15:

: First, Lucas is too busy messing up the rest of the "Star Wars" movies to direct Indy IV. If Spielberg is unavailable than Lucas is even moreso.

By “messing up” you mean “finishing”, don’t you? If you like the Star Wars films at all, you owe a debt of appreciation to George Lucas, who did, after all, create the films.

: After the shoddy job Lucas did directing "Phantom Menace" I don't want him screwing around with Indy. It'll be bad enough if he just writes the script without him putting his crappy directing imprint on it too. Just let him produce Indy IV and stay as far in the background as possible.

Obviously, we’ve simply hit a point on which we cannot agree. I don’t think “The Phantom Menace” represented Lucas’s best work, and it’s probably the worst directed of the four films he’s helmed, but I don’t think it was shoddy. As far as the scriptwriting goes, I think Lucas is needed to inject some of the heart and soul into the character that Spielberg would surely overlook, judging by some of his recent work.

: Lucas did a phenomonal job directing the first "Star Wars" and "American Graffiti" but the 22 year retirement he had since "Star Wars" (as a director) cost him whatever talent he possessed. Now he can't write a decent script or direct a good dog food commercial.

Again, I simply disagree. From where I stand, Lucas has had a much better hit-to-miss ratio than Spielberg, considering the entirety of both men’s careers. Moreover, Indiana Jones is still Lucas’s character, and Lucas has more of an interest in him than Spielberg. Sorry you feel otherwise, but I’ve actually been thinking about this very thing for several years now and I have to say that after having seen the Indy character wonderfully developed in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, while Spielberg’s later attempts at the sort of escapist fantasy he used to do become increasingly soulless, calculating and/or simply badly flawed (Hook, both Jurassic Parks), I’d like to see Lucas take a more active role than ever in the further adventures of his character.

- IJ

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]