Re: Indy's whip

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Borton from pm085-29.dialip.mich.net on June 06, 1998 at 12:40:15:

In Reply to: Indy's whip posted by Indiana Jones on June 06, 1998 at 07:08:23:

: I know a lot of you who have been here for sometime have seen this kind of post before, but I just began posting here 2 or 3 weeks ago, so I'm not really up to speed. I just need to know two things.

: 1. How long is Indy's whip? I've must watched TOD and I just noticed this: In the part where he wraps it around the post above his head and swings over to the spot where the Shankara stones are, the whip looks like it's 15 or 20 feet. I just need closure to this.

: 2. Does anyone know how much weight the bullwhip at this site can hold? The address is:

: http://www.juggling.org/help/circus-arts/bullwhip.html

: The picture is at the upper left-hand side. I just need to know because this is the same kind of whip I have. It's 12 feet long and it's one long piece of leather braided together. Thanks.

: Indy
: P.S: For those of you who haven't found the site, yet, this site teaches you how to use a bullwhip. I can wrap my whip around a pole with a 3 inch diameter thanks to reading this.

Hi Indy, For the most part, the Indy whip was 10 ft, However, during production they used bull whips that ranged in length from 6 feet to 16 feet for Various stunts. I would assume the whip used in the scene you mentioned, was either a 14 ft or possibly a 16 ft whip.

The bull whip pictured at the FAQ, is the type that Brian Dube sells, Right. Although, I don’t use that whip, from what I have been told, they are a fairly good American bullwhip. As for how much weight they would hold, I cannot say for sure. Could the thong support the weight of an average size person? Probably. However, these Bull whips are not made to swing on. Swinging on them can pull them out of shape, and alter the taper, causing the whip to handle less effectively, or even cause them to break. Hope this helps, if you have any more questions let us know.

Dan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]