The Gun

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Abner from h00104b6770cd.ne.mediaone.net on December 01, 1999 at 13:16:57:

In Reply to: Question to all other interested Indy Fans, more like a survey actually posted by GCR on December 01, 1999 at 09:19:40:

: To whoever reads this, I have a question- I am doing some research of sorts and would like feedback from other Indy fans on one topic, Indy's gun(s). In your opinion (who ever you are)what would you consider Indy'strademark sidearm to be? I mean James Bond always had his walther PPK, what about Indy? I know he used a lot of different weapons throughout the three movies, but which could be considered his trademark weapon? Any help or info, or just random thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The Webley Mk VI seems to have been seized upon because it is easy to remember and was consistent throughout LC, whereas it's hard to make sense of the Colt and S&W revolvers that appeared in the first two films what with changing barrel lenghts, etc. I like the Army service handguns from WWI because they remind me of Indy's WWI experiences. The Webley was British from WWI and the US Army S&W M1917 or Colt New Service M1917 seem evocative of Indy to me, (even if he didn't carry the standard issue barrel length- did he even ever carry a S&W M1917? Or was this just the rubber one that bounced out of the car? "I chipped a nail!" uggh...) The M1911 gets my vote even if he never carried it. If I were to carry a revolver also, then one which took the same ammunition would make sense, such as a Model 1917. But I like the Webley too, even if it is big and clunky. It reminds me of Dr. Watson from Sherlock Holmes. In short, I don't think there is a clear answer to your question. Of course, us fanatics aside, any "Old Army Revolver" would probably do for most people.

Cheers,
Abner

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: