Yes, it does get confusing...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on December 02, 1999 at 07:27:48:

In Reply to: It's not lambhide, but something else- Peter didn't tell me exactly what(nm) posted by Abner on December 02, 1999 at 06:48:18:

: : : : I called Wested this morning and I spoke to a fella named Jerry. Jerry was very nice and knew a great deal about leather. I asked him about the cowhide jacket. He said the cowhide is brand new and he hasn't even seen it yet. He said they have a special type of leather they use for pre-distressing but I wasn't quite sure what he said because his accent is so thick it's hard for me to understand.He told me some other tips but I'm sorry to say I forgot them,but they were nothing major. He said it is all personal choice but he thinks the lambskin jackets look the best.This is my question for you guys, since we are unclear on whether or not lambhide actually exists and I already have a new finish Raiders jacket should I have them make my last crusade jacket that I have ordered pre-distressed, because that might be the only way to get the heavier leather? Is there anyone out there who has a heavier leather undistreesed jacket? Thank you

: : : He has an undistressed LC hide jacket that looks very nice. There are pics of it at Indy Gear.
: : : See ya! DeWayne
: : Did anyone figure out exactly what kind of hide it is?
: : See ya! DeWayne

The predistressed jacket I have, and which Peter has been offering is made from a lamb material, most often referred to in the US as antique lamb skin. Peter's people have referred to it as lamb hide and occasionally nuaga (sp?). Actually, it was Jerry who called it that when I ordered the jacket.

As I understand it, Abner has recently ordered one of the new cowhide jackets. As I understand it, Peter has recently (August) come across a really good source for top grain cowhide - I believe this is what Abner will be getting. Peter has always been able to supply a cowhide jacket, but has never really pushed it, if you will.

Back to the hide they use for predistressed jackets. It is a lamb product. My understanding is that the antique lamb skin comes from an older animal and is therefore less dense, but heavier and thicker - Michaelson, tell me if I'm butchering this one. Does that mean it's sheepskin without the wool? I don't know. I'm really excited to hear how Abner likes his cowhide. If it is everything I hear, it is less prone to scratching then cowhide traditionally is.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: