Re: Distressed Hide

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on December 02, 1999 at 07:34:17:

In Reply to: Distressed Hide posted by Abner on December 02, 1999 at 06:53:37:

: : I guess what we're actually needing clarification to is what exactly is the hide he uses for the distressed jackets. The difference between the lamb skin standard non-distressed jacket and the distressed jacket are as different as night and day in appearance and physical weight. The distressed hide version is much heavier. The industry declared separation between hide and skin in the lamb may also be a practice of US tanneries too, as there could be a possibility that Europe doesn't recognize it as having a difference in product, and therefore sells both as being the same leather. That could explain the reports we occationally hear of differences in leathers in jackets. Interesting. I believe it was Patterson who had the original discussion with Peter a while back regarding the distressed lamb hide version (correct me if I'm worng, Patterson), so we need to back up and punt. What hide is actually being used for the distressed jackets? Regards. Michaelson

: I asked Peter this and I didn't exactly get a straight answer. It's a special leather, that we know- perhaps cowhide with a cracked finish. I don't think it's lambhide because Peter said there's no such thing. Wested might not even know for sure what it's made from.

: Cheers,
: Abner

Both Peter and Jerry confirmed that it is indeed a lamb product. Jerry referred to it a nauga (sp?) when I ordered the Jacket Michaelson has. David Hack referred to it as antique lambskin vs. lamb skin. I'm thinking it is the age of the animal. It is definitely not cowhide - it does not sctatch like my cowhide Cooper, and definitely has the smell of lamb.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: