Re: Indy's Fedora Question

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from ppp-37.COL.cableone.net on December 03, 1999 at 09:18:05:

In Reply to: Re: Indy's Fedora Question posted by Joe on December 03, 1999 at 08:10:12:

: : This is a rather simple question. Besides the Herbert Johnson fedora, which (in the opinion of the reader) is the closest, moderately priced hat(i.e. Stetson, Biltmore, Worth&Worth etc.) that could be bought in a large quantity, that could pass for an HJ or the one from the films? Any help is much needed and appreciated!

: I agree with Michaelson. The Stetson Nostalgia (or Soveriegn) is the best substitute. It is mink brown, which makes it look like the weathered Herbert Johnson't used in the films. Also the crown is high.I would not worry too much about the dimensional brim cut since when you style the hat in "Indy" style (with the sides of the brim somewhat curved up) you cannot tell if the brim is dimensionally cut or not. Joe

I don't agree with you on the dimensional cut brim not being discernable, even if you curl the sides up. To me , it is very noticeble. Also, this is one of the features that gives Indy's fedora that "look". That being said, I do agree that the Stetson would be the best choice if you didn't want to do any modifications other than brim trimming. I also love the mink color that this hat is available in. Personally, if I were in the market to purchase a large quanity of Indy style fedoras, I would do it differently. I would order the Akubra Bushman from Hats Direct in Australia. This open crowned hat is available in various shades of brown if you special order them. It is also possible that you could talk to Ron Lilburn there and get a discounted price since you would be buying in volume. You would have to make a couple modifications, like adding a ribbon, and cutting the brim down, but this is easily done, and cheap. The price is around $70.00 each including postage. The Stetson is higher than this. The main reason that I would use this hat is because of the taller crown height. The Stetson is advertised with a 5 inch open crown, while the Bushman is advertised with a 5 1/2 inch crown height. This extra 1/2 inch is very noticable. In my opinion by using this hat you would get something much closer to Indy's fedora, if that is what you seek. Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]