Re: brendon fraser

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian K. from kbowen.xyplex.com on December 05, 1999 at 17:14:34:

In Reply to: brendon fraser posted by hayden on December 05, 1999 at 15:51:16:

: dear everyone,
: I think Harrison Ford is simply to old ( and arrogant) to play indiana jones now .He is not relevent to us , the young generation.I think Brendon Fraser should take over from him , and that we should except a few more installments of movies like the mummy ( i hope they make a second one) to replacxe the old and now boring( what shit was that random hearts ! ) Ford. His day is over guys.
: p.s. As an after thought why doesnt Brendon Fraser play indy himself i could accept that !

Ok, let's step back here a second....let's look at this from the perspective of past experience. We are faced with an aging actor trying to perform a physically demanding role, or replacing him with a younger one, or leaving everything alone, and not making another one.

Choice 1 - Harrison Ford at 60....

now granted Harrison is in great physical shape for a man his age, but the fact that we have to preface that statement with "for a man his age" should tell us something. What's going to happen to Harrison? Probably something similar to what happened to Mel Gibson. Seen Lethal Weapon 4? What a piece of crap! He's another actor in good shape considering his age, but it just doesn't work. The character of Riggs had to change to accomodate an older actor, so there was none of that "soldier" quality left to him....he still had the wit, but something was missing from the character. The same thing would hapen to Indy, because Indy just can't be Indy at 60. Like I said, Harrison ( and Mel ) are guys in great condition for their age, but they aren't 35 anymore.

Choice 2 - A younger actor ( you prefer Mr. Fraser, but regardless of the person... )

Can anyone say "My name is Bond, James Bond."? Sure, anyone can say it, but if you grew up and fell in love with Bond at the beginning of the movies ( of which I didn't, I'm not a Bond fan...any of the Bonds, but my dad is ), then you automatically think of Sean Connery. No matter who you like as James Bond, there will always be the inevitable comparisons. For these people watching Roger Moore or Timothy Dalton or Pierce Brosnan just makes them look like pale imitations. The same thing will happen to Indy if you bring in someone else, regardless of who it is. By virtue of the fact that every actor has his own style of acting, something is lost in the character...."Ford looked more like Indiana Jones than " "Ford this.." "Ford that..." The question there is, how many people can deal with it?

Option 3 - Leaving well enough alone

Well, the consequences of this are quite self explanatory. It may be painful to accept, but unless some really really interesting script comes along, it could be the best thing for Indy. Regardless of whether Ford is in Indy 4, ( assuming an Indy 4 is made ) it better not be another "chase the valuable artifact, be shot at by bad guys, save the world" script. But as to whether it is best or not to leave it alone is very much a factor of the script, and how well it adhere's to the old serials Indy gets his inspiration from, as well as offering something different from previous incarnations of the films.

That's my take on it
Brian K.

"Star Trek XX: So Very Old, So Very Tired"

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: