Wine is Fine but Liquor's Quicker

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cap'n Paul from 204.208.30.165 on June 08, 1998 at 02:20:23:

In Reply to: Re: A hard drinker and the beat posted by adam on June 07, 1998 at 19:58:38:

: : My friend and I are having a debate.

: : Is Indy a drinker like Marion? Or can Indy not even compare to Marion?

: : In other words,

: : My friend says Indy is like Marion with the drinking I say he doesn't even come close. Help me out?

: I'd have to agree with you. We do see Indy with half a bottle of
: some sort of alcoholic beverage (Raiders, after Marion "dies", scene with Belloq in Cairo. It looks like he's drank 3/4 a bottle and is
: still stable. But Marion owns a bar, and is the bar tender. She
: probably his quite a bit of "experience" because of this profession.
: Indy, on the other hand, is a professor of archeology, and is too busy
: writing lesson plans and chasing after gold idols to take up drinking.
: Just my opinion. Sorry if this letter is a bit disjointed, I hate finals.
: adam

: Brisco's assessment is correct. The character of IJ was originally envisioned as a smooth talking playboy (with all the connotations of being able to "schmooze and booze") when he wasn't galavanting around the world in search of antiquities. It was toned down because Lucas/Spielberg went after a segment of the audience that the Old Hollywood rarely targeted - teenagers. This was the marketing genius Harrison Ford credits Lucas with for the success of the Star Wars trilogy in his biography. This toning down also applied to Marion's story of having to resort to prostitution to come up with money to buy the bar and get back to the America. That part of the origiinal screenplay never made it to the big screen.

Still, you can get a taste (no pun intended) of IJ's ability to handle his liquor from the scenes where he asks Marion for whisky bottle in the Tibetan bar fight, the scene where he drowns his sorrows in Cairo after Marion's seeming death, and in the opening scenes of ToD where he dashingly sips champagne in a white tuxedo. -CP

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]