Re: Hey, Ultraman... You're lucky to have caught me...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Um Tiga from ts004d33.las-nv.concentric.net on December 07, 1999 at 03:48:21:

In Reply to: Hey, Ultraman... posted by ROB T. on December 07, 1999 at 03:22:50:

: You're original Young Indy post is kinda far down the forum now and I know that you've revisited it because you responded to my post criticising the series. Anyway, I just want to make sure that you go back down and check again because I posted a second time to concede some of the points you made.
: I'm willing to give Young Indy another chance if I can find the videos for rent at Blockbuster. Maybe they'll turn out to be better than I originally thought.

I was about to log off! I haven't read your post yet, but I'll be certain to.

Anyway, I'd actually reccomend you buy a couple of them before they sell out. At 9.99 from Tower, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, or, if you must, 14.99 at Suncoast or Virgin, it's kinda' hard to beat - besides, it's a few more Indy-logos to add to your collection. It doesn't look like any more videos will be manufactured until the rest of the series is released "in the new millenium". First to remember is that in 22 films, not all of them are going to be winners (look at Bond, Godzilla and Star Trek). The weaker episode in the Young Indy saga (thus far) are "Adventures In the Secret Service" (the "Petrograd" sequence honestly is quite excellent, and the Austrian sequence isn't bad either, but they do not mix very well, particularly as we never get to see how Indy's meets his Russian freinds, and it takes a gulp to swallow that he even could be freinds with them - consider we must assume he is speaking to them in Russian, and not English, though). Masks of Evil is also not very good, but it's the only episode to have a super-natural slant like the films. The Vlad Dra segment ispretty cool, but needs to be taken with a grain of salt. The first half, set in Istanbul is awful, in my opiniopinion, but some others have stood up for it (I hated the female character, the way she was written, the way she was acted, and the way the marriage was resolved was so obvious)! Speing Break Adventure feels clumsily put together, sure enough, but is largely entertaining and a genuine improvement over the original YIJC premiere.

Or rent, either way. My recommendations, as above, are Chapters 10 and 11, "Phantom Train of Doom" and "Oganga - Giver and Taker of Life" to start with. They make an excellent double feature because of their diversity (scores of action, adventure, and humour in the first; solid, emotional human drama and compelling philosophical discussion in the next - not to mention that slam-bang opening!) and the continuity is so seamless! You literally see Indy going from one assignment to the next and finally, leaving Africa behind for enlistment into the secret service (which directly leads into the excellent Attack of the Hawkmen, BTW).

I'm looking to see if anyone can spot discrepencies in the timelines or assignments though. Indy makes references to somethings in certain epiosdes for scripts that were scrapped or drastically altered later. Did anyone at Lucas catch that stuff?

Anyway, cheerio!

TIGA

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: