Understood, but.....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on December 07, 1999 at 08:28:49:

In Reply to: Yo, Beowulf, Michealson, and other Young Indy fans! (This is a good long, healthy one). posted by Ultraman Tiga on December 07, 1999 at 02:45:34:

: First, thanks for support and intelligent responses, respectively. Michealson, I do have to disagree about the topic of YIJC being already discussed. Many regs to the Forum now weren't around back then, and those that were there have long gone. I'm one of very few who had been posting regularly (and that's very irregularly lately) since '97. Of course I'm a True Believer of the almighty trilogy, but it is only three films compared to Young Indy's twenty-two!

: Young Indy offers so much more to discuss than virtually all the other available Indy material. Heck, that's the reson why George Lucas made the damned show! Haha! "Oganga" alone could fill it's own forum!

: For instance, although the additional scenes in Spring Break Adventure have been noted, most in here hadn't seen ANY of Daredevils of the Desert, the second half of Masks of Evil, and the second half of Tales of Innocence, but I don't think I've seen a single post devoted to any of them!

: It's fortunate that "Oganga" and "Phantom Train" fit back to back. Both were written by Frank "master of human drama" Darabont, are set in Africa, and yet are deivergently different. I'd say to anybody who had even the slightest doubt about the quality of Young Indy or of SPF's acting to watch those two films and see if they feel the same way about it.

: But Beowulf, I must disagree. While both of them are Four Star masterpieces, I prefer the drama of "Oganga" over the outstanding action and humor of PToD. Bartlemay's impassioned plea about the future of Africa and the mutiny against the sympathetic Bouchet is just dowright gripping.

: In fact, that was the very scen that convinced me that SPF was the right guy - when he draws his gun on Bouchet it was the first time (in the original YIJC) that we see that SPF can draw a hard-edged snarl that resembles in every way Harrison Ford.

: I remember being so excited that I wanted to hit the Green Valley Grocery right away to buy the YIJC magazine that featured SPF in that outfit on the cover.

: It was definately the defining moment of YIJC, the point that turned the series into my favorite TV show of all time (a canon that includes The Saint, Columbo, MASH, The Muppet Show, The Prisoner and Gilligan's Island - among others!).

: Anyway, there are so many good episodes set during the war that it tends to turn me toward the more offbeat material for selecting my favorites (Spring Break, Mystery of the Blues, Scandal of 1920).

: Well, this post has gone on a little long, but you can bet there will be more from me on these subjects.

: Cheers!

: TIGA

I appreciate your opinion above, TIGA, and that's the beauty of the forum, we're ALL equal in our opinions. I still stand by my original statement, but will amend it to the point that most of the discussions went offline of the Indyfan forum due to the fact that, as you pointed out, there seemed to be no grey area in what people thought of the Chronicles, you either loved them or hated them (being an old member you should remember those postings). Based on that fact and some members even went about creating their own YIJC webpages where this was ALL that was discussed. It could be that I'm blending these discussions all together. Personally I'm a fan of the entire franchise, Young Indy and Older Indy, and so I have no preferences one way or another. They are all worthy of discussion. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]